Road to Mr. Olympia 2013: David "The Beast" Douglas

Forum to store USPA member training logs.

Moderator: sdenison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:53 am
First squat day..

Projected mission (subject to change): 550-560lbs for 3 sets of 5

Coming into this training session i felt really good. The soreness of the previous 2 meets had gone away days ago and after talking over with the guys and really mapping out a new path i was extremely hungry to get started. Even though this was light to me, i know it wouldn’t just be a walk in the park kind of session. My key focus was on mastering the technique and the act of hitting depth and firing out of the hole at the bottom. With that being said, taking the bar to new depths and locking that in slowed down my bar speed abit just because my body is going to need time to send it to auto pilot. If you don’t practice hitting depth then you are going to end up playing depth finder at the meet which is a no no.

Actual work after warm up sets: 565lbs for 2 sets of 4.

I cut it a bit short because we could see how much it was taking out of me. My hamstring started locking alittle bit so i played it smart even though i did want to rip another set. After that i went and put on a Inzer fusion single ply suit by way of Dension Powerlifting and Inzer Advanced Designs. I have a long way too the Olympia but i need to start NOW to break into all my Inzer gear and really start getting it dialed in. Took a couple light sets with 450+ to just get the feel for having a suit on for the first time. I can tell you right now.. with the group of guys that im around at OC Strength club and the leadership/mentoring i am getting with the help of my sponsors.. i promise you 2013 will be the year you remember.. Laying down the foundation…
Last edited by DavidTheBeastDouglas on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt David "The Beast" Douglas
Proudly sponsored by:
Dension Powerlifting IAD distributor
Iron Rebel Power Gear
Team HMB
Camp Pendleton Athletics
I AM BEAST CLOTHING/Lady Beast Athletics
http://www.I-AM-BEAST.com

"TIME TO KILL IT"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:11 am
Glad to see you posting here. Hope you keep posting. I am sure many are interested. Know I am! Good luck on your journey. Family and I are going to be @ the "O" this year would love to cheer you on and see you put on a show.

Have one question. Been awhile since been looking @ gear. Isn't the Fusion a deadlift suit? I love mine to pull in but never squatted in it.
Everyone says love hurts, but that’s not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Envy hurts. Everyone gets these things confused with love; Love is the one thing in this world that does not hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am
The Fusion is actually a deadlift suit, but I only had a size 40 in stock. He should have a size 40 TRX but only had a 38. I looked at the Fusion and compared it to the TRX and it looks the same in structure so I said what the heck try this.
Steve Denison,
http://www.uspa.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 am
By the way, David is trying to qualify for the Olympia by competing in a local USPA meet in April or May so he can get ranked in single ply full power and then have the opportunity to be selected for the 308 class.

We figure with his 1900+ raw total at 308 we can get him in single ply gear and move his total up to 2100 or 2200+ to qualify.

The current ranked 308 totals are here, but you will note that SPF uses a monolift in single ply and taking that away would drop these numbers down for those guys. I think David going up against Henry Thomason would be good. Hope to get Alan Best to go 275 instead of 308. Trying to get more multiply guys to cross over. Dave Hoff is considering it.

Total
Rank Name Federation Date Total
1. Hunter Allen SPF 2012-02-25 2120
2. Henry Thomason USPA 2012-04-21 2116
3. Dustin Phelps SPF 2012-03-24 2025
4. Buddy McKee SPF 2012-02-25 1905
5. Brent Pickett SPF 2012-06-16 1750
Steve Denison,
http://www.uspa.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 pm
Still learning the gear as you can see lol. I am looking forward to investing my time in getting pushing myself with these new suits by Inzer. I will continue to strengthen my raw game as well as slap on the gear in hopes of getting to a meet this April and testing myself on a new level. I don't want to be known as just the bench guy. I want to be a well rounded Raw and single ply Triple Threat as My sponsor Iron Rebel would call it, in the 308 class. Sir, i can't thank you enough for your support and i want you to know that I sent my singlet into production as we speak and getting the "AG" on both sides of the straps. Respect carries itself a long way if you give it where it's deserved. Mike Tronske and then Steve brought it to my attention how my numbers would stack up against the list and it actually took me by surprise. I would be extremely honored to share the platform with Henry, Allen, or any of the top guys in the class because they all have my respect for how far they have gotten in the sport. I am in a competition with myself to push and kill it. Leave nothing in practice for doubt and nothing on the comp platform for question. If i continue to maintain that mindset i can not fail.. I will continue to post on here as well as my blog to keep everyone updated on my progress!
Proudly sponsored by:
Iron Rebel Power Gear
Team HMB
Camp Pendleton Athletics

"TIME TO KILL IT"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:04 pm
Great to see you posting! Good luck in your endeavors!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 am
First Bench Day

Some days your are on and some days you aren’t. That’s how i will describe my bench day yesterday. I walked into the gym thinking that all my pistons were firing, but when i laid under the bar and started to put in the work i was faced with a decision that has brought harm to me in the past.

Misson: Warm up sets, Light raw work, shirt up and light shirt work just to get the feeling back.

After my warm up sets i automatically felt something in my right elbow.. I didn’t think anything of it at first, just thought i needed to get some more stretching and work in to get some blood flowing. After hitting 405 then up to 455, it really started aching. Let’s take it back a year or so and apply the same problem.. I was so stubborn on the fact that you need to work through pain and stop being weak that i wouldn’t even say anything about it and take the bar up more and more weight. The end result of that was i had to take an additional 2 weeks off from bench because of the strain that i put to my joints. I was lucky enough to be able to recover and still throw up some weight in the competition. Being able to learn from that experience and having growth as a lifter on my side, i was able to be smart about the situation and look at the big picture of things. I did what was smart and cut the workout and iced it. Never let pride get in the way of what is necessary. Granted you might not ever be 100% but you will always need to take proper precaution to preserve your body as much as possible so on game day you will be as close to 100% as you can. I will come back and kill it next week, but i am on a mission that is extremely important to me. I am everything i can to put things together. When i write this i am not just going to write about the good things that happen in my cycle, but the bad also because that is a true road to success. It just makes you that much stronger..
Proudly sponsored by:
Iron Rebel Power Gear
Team HMB
Camp Pendleton Athletics

"TIME TO KILL IT"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:42 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttkAnCOuyU

Yesterday was a pretty good work day in the books for squats. This is my first cycle in single ply gear that’s not just a bench shirt so i had to learn a whole new way of lifting. I was never really strong to begin with on squats until i started training up at OC where my raw squat took off from 540 to now around 700lbs. I just never got coached in the movement so most of the time i honestly just winged it going off of what i saw at meets and at youtube. Now that I am actually around lifters and coaches that are fixing and correcting me, my strength as well as my form are starting to soar. This session i started with a suit that was bit tighter than we wanted it. The entire training session i was fighting it getting down, pushing my knees out, and sitting into it more than i should have, but there was reasons why we continued pushing through with it.

One is that i need to get acclimated to single ply squatting. Even though the suit was extremely tight, it still let me come down enough safely to where i could get to almost parallel with the straps down.
Two, because i needed to feel that weight on my back. Once i had 755 on my back for the first time my confidence began to grow. Mind you this is the second time being in a suit.

There was a lot of things that need to get worked on, adjusted, and changed up, but the feeling of that weight on your back is going to remain the same. Now, a couple years ago, that feeling i got when i hung it up would make me want to throw on some more weight and keep going, but i am just happy the guys were around to keep me sane and pushing towards my ultimate goals, which is have a great qualifying total in April and then blow the doors off on the Olympia stage. I am not doing this to prove anyone wrong. I am doing this to prove to MYSELF that i got more in me than just a strong bench. I always wanted to be a overall strong powerlifter and to do that, i need to be strong on all fronts. I spent my time having fun benching, but now its time to go after what i really want. There will always be people saying this and people saying that about your lifts, your training, and etc, but as long as you keep the belief in yourself that you are going to do big things for yourself on that platform, nothing can stop you.. words were never meant to be seen or felt unless you let them.. I feel strong with my team and my incredible sponsors, HMB, Iron Rebel Power Gear, Denison Powerlifting, Camp Pendleton Athletics, my unit 1st Maint BN, MTM Company, and all the TEAM BEAST supporters behind me. One day closer..
Proudly sponsored by:
Iron Rebel Power Gear
Team HMB
Camp Pendleton Athletics

"TIME TO KILL IT"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 am
got alot of power coming up David, just keep working on getting down. Strength is definately no problem.
Jared Davis

Sponsored by
Hydraulix Supplements and Supplement SuperSource www.supplementsupersource.com
Click on this link to get 20% off all Hydraulix supplements and merchandise http://hydraulix.refr.cc/DDCQR78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 pm
IronAddict wrote:got alot of power coming up David, just keep working on getting down. Strength is definately no problem.

Thank you sir. Yes i definitely gotta keep working at it. Getting a larger suit this week so i will be working that in this starting this saturday so hopefully that will give me so more freedom.
Proudly sponsored by:
Iron Rebel Power Gear
Team HMB
Camp Pendleton Athletics

"TIME TO KILL IT"
Next

Return to USPA Member Training Logs