foot placement rule

Forum used to discuss the USPA National Rules.

Moderator: sdenison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 pm
sdenison wrote: One of the comments that was offered was that benching on the toes as a style of lifting is no different than deadlifting sumo or conventional. Sumo offers a shorter distance on the pull much like some lifters feel that benching on the toes offers them the ability to get a better arch.

That is a great point. With that in mind perhaps not allowing sumo style deadlifting would be a better rule change. That is an attempt @ humor with a smidge of truth mixed in. I do not like the rule change but I am sure I am in the minority. I will try to take advantage of it. God knows I need some type of help with my bench.

This is a political question. Does the EC have total control or do you have the right of veto? Obviously in this situation the rule change is pretty insignificant. But what if somehting that really changed the lift, like implementing the monolift?
Everyone says love hurts, but that’s not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Envy hurts. Everyone gets these things confused with love; Love is the one thing in this world that does not hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:23 pm
grissinger wrote:
sdenison wrote: One of the comments that was offered was that benching on the toes as a style of lifting is no different than deadlifting sumo or conventional. Sumo offers a shorter distance on the pull much like some lifters feel that benching on the toes offers them the ability to get a better arch.

That is a great point. With that in mind perhaps not allowing sumo style deadlifting would be a better rule change. That is an attempt @ humor with a smidge of truth mixed in. I do not like the rule change but I am sure I am in the minority. I will try to take advantage of it. God knows I need some type of help with my bench.

This is a political question. Does the EC have total control or do you have the right of veto? Obviously in this situation the rule change is pretty insignificant. But what if somehting that really changed the lift, like implementing the monolift?

If I had my way, everyone would deadlift conventional and bench flat footed, but there are varying styles that have been accepted in Powerlifting and its here to stay so just like the head is optional, thumbless grip is optional it is a lifter choice. Bottomline, you still need to pause the bench and lock it out keeping your butt on the bench.
I do have the right of veto but I don't work that way. I look for a consensus of opinion. Right now I have a question on the USPA facebook page asking USPA members if kneewraps should be allowed in the raw division since there are two other feds that allow it and their lifters are being ranked on PLWatch using wraps.
The monolift will only be used in the Multiply division with no walkout. A monolift can be used in the raw and single ply division if that's all there is in a gym but lifters must walk out in raw and single ply. We had to do this at the NW Summer Open in Portland yesterday. They only had a monolift in the gym. We adapted to the situation. :D
Steve Denison,
http://www.uspa.net
Previous

Return to USPA Rules