Updated USPA rules

Forum used to discuss the USPA National Rules.

Moderator: sdenison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 am
The USPA rules have been updated for 2011.
Here's the link from the USPA website:
http://www.uspla.org/sites/default/file ... _Rules.pdf

Steve Denison
http://www.uspla.org
Email: steve@uspla.org
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:40 pm
Are the single ply convict knee sleeves from APT allowed for raw squatting? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 pm
dchilders wrote:Are the single ply convict knee sleeves from APT allowed for raw squatting? Thanks

Yes, they're allowed.
Steve Denison,
http://www.uspa.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 pm
Rulebook has now been updated. New rules took effect on Aug 13.

http://www.uspla.org/sites/default/file ... _Rules.pdf

Start Command is now in effect for the benchpress for all categories: raw, single ply, and multiply
Benching on the toes is now legal in all categories: raw, single ply, and multiply.

When referee announces Platform's ready, the time clock starts. The clock will stop in the squat with the squat command. It will stop in the benchpress with the Start command and will stop in the deadlift when the lifter starts pulling.

No other changes.

My comments: The Start command was needed to eliminate the constant soft starts that our referees keep seeing. Once the lifter receives the handoff at Arms Length, the spotter leaves the platform and then the referee will give the "Start" command.
The optional benching on the toes was implemented to give lifters a choice. I personally feel that benching flat footed is the best way because it allows more stability and leg drive but regardless of that its still an option for those lifters that prefer it. Some argue that it allows a bigger arch. I tend to disagree. I've seen Japanese lifters benching flat-footed with a huge arch. A lifter just needs to bring their feet back towards their head to tighten up the thighs and then drive the heal down. This will force the back to arch up. Regardless each lifter will choose just like they do if they want a thumbless grip, or keeping their head up or down or sumo deadlifting. Its a choice. The bottomline is you still need to bench the weight by pausing the bar on your chest, keeping your butt down and then pushing it up to arms length and locking it out. Referees will still be looking to see if your butt comes off the bench or your feet leave the ground or you have exaggerated uneven extension or don't wait for all the bench commands of Start, Press, and Rack.
Steve Denison,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:06 am
I was hoping to see that knee wraps in the RAW squat were going to be legal. Wishful thinking :lol: I like the rule change about the benching on your toes. It doesnt affect me any but a couple lifters on our team do.
Jared Davis

Sponsored by
Hydraulix Supplements and Supplement SuperSource www.supplementsupersource.com
Click on this link to get 20% off all Hydraulix supplements and merchandise http://hydraulix.refr.cc/DDCQR78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
IronAddict wrote:I was hoping to see that knee wraps in the RAW squat were going to be legal. Wishful thinking :lol: I like the rule change about the benching on your toes. It doesnt affect me any but a couple lifters on our team do.

I was also hoping for the wraps. Seems like one of those issues were the people that are against wraps protest the loudest. Ironically many people that chimed in on facebook with the belief, "wraps are NOT RAW" side, do not even lift raw. I respect there opinion and understand it. However, it is kind of like someone in San Francisco voting for the Congressman who will represent me from Springfield.

I hope that USPA puts a box on all the entry forms over the next year that asks the question about including a wrapped "classic" division. In addition, I hope only those who actually compete raw are allowed to vote. I do not want to get rid of the real "RAW" division just add a wrapped classic division. I do not see the offensiveness in that. More then 12 other feds and PLwatch.com include wraps in the raw classification. Are they all wrong?

Like you the toe rule doesn't affect me so I am not going to whine about it. I am happy if it includes more lifters.
Everyone says love hurts, but that’s not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Envy hurts. Everyone gets these things confused with love; Love is the one thing in this world that does not hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 am
I know what you mean. I just think its a safety issue. When somebody blows a knee or two out because they didnt wrap, maybe somebody will wake up. People claim that it gives the lifter the ablility to lift heavier weight, well if thats the case, then lets get rid of belts, wrist wraps, and chalk too. I dont know about you guys but I cant lift as much without those things as I can with them. Just my 1.5 cents :D
Jared Davis

Sponsored by
Hydraulix Supplements and Supplement SuperSource www.supplementsupersource.com
Click on this link to get 20% off all Hydraulix supplements and merchandise http://hydraulix.refr.cc/DDCQR78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:46 pm
The raw thing is a whole new animal and I think its best to leave it alone and not add to it. Johnny Vasquez from PLWatch says he will rank lifters using kneewraps if I mark them Classic on the scoresheet. They would still be listed in the single ply division but next to their name would say CLASSIC. I think that's as far as I need to go with this and that's pretty much what the kneewrap lifters want anyway. There won't be any raw records being set in the USPA as a Classic lifter.
Steve Denison,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:50 pm
sdenison wrote:The raw thing is a whole new animal and I think its best to leave it alone and not add to it. Johnny Vasquez from PLWatch says he will rank lifters using kneewraps if I mark them Classic on the scoresheet. They would still be listed in the single ply division but next to their name would say CLASSIC. I think that's as far as I need to go with this and that's pretty much what the kneewrap lifters want anyway. There won't be any raw records being set in the USPA as a Classic lifter.

As a Class II - barely Class I lifter - squatting a little over 2 X body weight without a suit - the kneewraps add about 25 to 30 pounds to my max lifts easy. I support the decision to stay with knee sleeves for the purity of the raw ranking and for competition as raw. I actually find that without wraps it is harder to stabilize the weight after taking it out of the rack and I miss the resistance from the wraps at the start of the decent of the squat. Lifting without the wraps has made my knees stronger - but I think it is a safety issue for lifters capable of lifting at 3 X bodyweight not for me a 2 X. For me it is all stability at the start - I do not think based on 2 X bodyweight I am getting any "pop" - I think the "pop" comes from the stability of the single ply squat suit for a 3 X + lifter and wraps are for safety if your form gets sloppy. I agree with Steve - leave the raw thing alone for awhile and build some consistency - another division within a division dilutes the competition. I am OK to use wraps and compete in the single ply division when necessary. Wraps for sure will allow you to lift more weight!

Return to USPA Rules